History of the Library

The Ventress Memorial Library (VML) was founded in 1895 with funds provided by Seth J. Ventress, a Marshfield resident. The original library, called the Marshfield Free Library, was located in the Town Hall on South River Street. By 1938 the section of the Town Hall used as the Library had become so overcrowded that the library moved to a century renovated school building on Ocean Street and was named for its benefactor.  In December 1983, renovations were completed on the former First National grocery building, and the Ventress Library opened in this 19,000 square foot facility.

White library building from 1900s on a street.
Original Location of Library on Ocean St