VENTRESS MEMORIAL LIBRARY HISTORY
The Ventress Memorial Library (VML) was founded in 1895 with funds provided by Seth J. Ventress, a Marshfield resident. The original library, called the Marshfield Free Library, was located in the Town Hall on South River Street. By 1938 the section of the Town Hall used as the Library had become so overcrowded that the library moved to a century renovated school building on Ocean Street and was named for its benefactor. 19th In December 1983 renovations were completed on the former First National grocery building, and the Ventress Library opened in this 19,000 square foot facility.
The VML offers a variety of services to nearly 11,544 registered borrowers. The collection totals nearly 89,000 items. Circulation, as of June 30, 2014 totaled 211,679 items. We offer programs for all ages from 6 months to 90+.
We offer books in hardcover, large print, paperbacks, magazines, books on CD, DVDs, music CDs, downloadable eBooks, audio books and magazines. The library subscribes to 10 databases including Transparent Language online and Universal Class a virtual classroom offering hundreds of courses. Inter-library loan services, both within and outside the 26-member Old Colony Network, are also available.